<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

20 March 2004

The Good Old Days 

Yeah, whatever. :-)

I was cleaning up my bookmark list which must be about four years old by now, and I found some links to sites for members of the demo scene. Now, I have to admit that I was a really crap coder (programmer). Really crap. But this was long before the Internet was a known term outside of Boston, and I could only rely on teenaged boys to be willing to teach me some programming. This was not an easy task, as most boys thought it was kind of embarrassing if their friends knew they were hanging out with a girl. *rolls her eyes* So I learnt only a bit of coding from scratch, the rest I had to figure out for myself. Let's just say my group, which consisted of me and a boy (previous boyfriend, didn't work out, so we stayed friends for years afterwards instead *s*), never made a huge impact on the "scene". Not even the slightest raising of eyebrows. He was a more than capable graphics artist, but I was crap at everything else, so it didn't really work out. Anyway, I kept on making (bad) music for many years, I still dabble with the old Trackers from time to time, and just a few minutes ago I found myself rummaging around a great site for previous and current "hits" of the scene. I would really like to recommend Nectarine for anyone even remotely interested in what I'm going on about. I was as happy as can be when I finally found one of my favourites from back then, "Restricted" by Mr. Man. Turns out he's Norwegian, pretty cool. I remember a few years ago that I discovered that my favourite scene musician, 4-Mat (anyone who's been part of the demo scene knows about him), was about my own age, and I used to think he was God when it came to making so-called chip-music. I still call it music, even though most people think it sounds ridiculous. I'm looking for the tune, not necessarily the instruments. Just like I can play computer games from the early 80s as long as the gameplay is good. Who needs anything than ASCII anyway? ;-)

May I just salute BBCPrime for showing lots of episodes of The Office? Three episodes back to back is a great idea! The only problem is that they're much too embarrassing to watch.

I feel I should also mention that I went to see Monster the other night and it made me go through at least four different kinds of emotion: Embarrassment, happiness, sadness and anger. Not bad for one film. And Charlize Theron must have had a blast when applying that make-up for hours every morning. Not. Unfortunately they showed a preview of The Passion of the Christ before the film and I didn't quite know where to go afterwards. The preview alone made me decide that I don't want to see that one. I don't really feel like seeing up close how they put spikes through someone's palms. But please, go ahead and watch it for all I care, I just don't have the stomach for that.

I'd rather listen to some of the many albums I've bought lately. I don't think I bought this many CDs all last year! I just felt like some renewal of my CD collection. OK, so I bought lots of CDs last year too, but not from the store, mostly through eBay and online stores. (Lots of obscure musical CDs back then.) Anyway, there was a sale in a store downtown so I found a few albums that I wanted. And some films. And then I went back the next day and bought some more. Shame on me. But at least I can't complain that I haven't got anything to listen to next week when I take a pre-Easter and much needed holiday (I'm about to strangle my boss the second he enters the office, so I guess it's about time.)

Current track: Mr. Man - Restricted (I miss my old Amiga)

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.