<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

15 May 2004

Eurosong! 

What kind of a crap show was that? Please, please, PLEASE hire someone who can ad lib in English and/or French the next time! And some real focus pullers for the cameras. And while you're at it, why not employ a decent producer. Just an idea. And don't rip off someone else's intermission dance. Yes, they were quicker than the Riverdance people but they were still just copying the Irish, weren't they?

Thank God for Terry Wogan at least. Without him the whole ordeal would have been infinitely worse. OK, so I bet the hosts were doing their best; they certainly looked happy enough, and the crowd were very pleased with jumping up and down, screaming for three hours. But making Xena the Warrior Princess the winner of the year??? What happened? Is this what's going to happen with the EU now? I'm worried.

Not sure if I agree with Wogan, though, about the political voting. Sure, so the eastern bloc countries are used to suppression and are trying to adjust to more democratic ways, but I personally think (or at least hope) that the voting is just a result of the vast differences in musical styles in Europe. It's only natural that neighbouring countries vote for each other, because they're used to that kind of music and are generally more open to that. Let's face it, Terry; the rest of us, the lot that's been turning up for the contest every year for nearly fifty years (yes, all right, Norway didn't participate for the first two competitions), we've been doing that voting you call "political" for as many years. The UK have been doing that, too. It's not a conspiracy. Really.

Too bad about Ireland sending someone who couldn't stay within the right key, because the song wasn't too bad. I was voting for Serbia & Montenegro myself. Well, actually, I forgot to vote, I was too busy creating the voting table (phew! 36 countries!). Turkey was my runner-up. Ukraine was NOT on my list at all. Then again, I quite liked the Norwegian song. A thousand thanks to Sweden for "bailing us out" from the nil point situation at the last minute. I just couldn't bear another year of listening to Terry reminding the whole of the UK and those Europeans with a bit of sense (i.e. those who watch any BBC broadcast ;-)) that Norway has the record in the number of entries that have got zero points, all the while stating that the UK itself has an amazing track record when it comes to the Eurovision Song Contest. Yay! Lucky me for being an anglophile. Ahem. :-)

Current track: I've turned the telly off. No more crap Ukrainian songs.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.