<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

23 June 2004

Living in the Past, Or: How I Came to Find that I Seem to be Missing Something in My Life 

Every night I have to stop myself from saying "good night, sleep tight" (only in Norwegian) to the empty cage I for some reason still have got in the bathroom. The other night I discovered that's not too strange, actually. I got a hamster (dear old - now late - Ronny Edgar Tarzan) back in 19.. because I was missing my dogs and I needed a pet. I wasn't allowed to keep any pets in my pad but I sneaked the hamster (with cage) into my room anyway (very easily, because...well, no one cared, really.) I had him for more than two years, I think he was 2 1/2 when he died of a stroke. A couple of friends of mine, living upstairs from me at the time, just happened to have got quite an extension to their gerbil family and offered me the two adult males because of that. Since I was unsure about what would happen to them if I didn't, I just couldn't possibly say no, so I got them a few days after R.A.T. died. Of course I gave them outrageous names. A few weeks later I was given two other gerbils, as they couldn't give away all of the little creatures, and after another naming ceremony, this time in the kitchen (thus names like "Bosch" and "Swiss Miss" popped up in their intricate names), they were put in a cage next to the others, so as to get used to each other. Turned out, about a week later, that I wouldn't have had to bother with that, as they instantly took a liking to each other the minute I let them meet.

Anyway, I'm one of those that love animals dearly and would like to save them all by adopting them, but then they die of old age and I'm devastated, so it's kind of hard to keep any pets at all, really. I still miss some of my neighbours' dogs from when I was a child, that's how deep it goes. The papers are full of sad stories these days, because of the purely evil people (let's face it, there can't be any good in them at all) that just leave their pets and go on holiday. Or what about those that adopt a cat for the holiday and then leave them there when going home. Let's bring out the Comfy Chair, I say. However, I must stress that even though I have not researched this thoroughly, I doubt that the theory that someone put out earlier this week (sorry, I didn't get the name, I was only reading the headlines) probably is a bit exaggerated; that 80% of the dog owners are unfit to have pets. I have seen many a dog molester, unfortunately, but I also know so many people who love dogs and treat them well, so I find that very hard to believe. I'm all for the idea of getting a dog owner's license, though, with a proper test and everything. Apart from the fact that that would lead to a massive killing of puppies, I'm afraid. Just look at how easily people kill unwanted/unplanned kittens. At least they could issue real certificates for kennel owners, because many of them are completely unfit to have anything to do with any living creature, in my opinion.

Am I rambling again?

There was a point to the story I started up there; oh yes, "I guess it's an old habit, saying 'good night' to the cage."

I was actually logging on to tell you I've had this annoying song on my mind all day. I'm not joking. It's the same song over and over, and just one part of the song, even. I think I may have been cursed. (I knew I shouldn't have said "MacBeth"! *winks*) I'm sort of hoping going to bed will help.

Current track: It's that bloody song. Over and over and over.

Labels: ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.