<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

21 July 2004

Musicals: The Why's and What's 

Watched Hey Mr. Producer last night. I've wanted to own this tape for so long and I bought the CD (long live eBay) last year, but only got around to buying the video about a month ago. Didn't watch it till yesterday. So much for being a fan. Ahem. Anyway.

It was of course better than just listening to the CD. Unfortunately they've tried to put so much into the three-hour-long show that a couple of my favourite songs have been cut short - the sacrilege being cutting a whole verse out of Stars AND speeding it up a bit. One of the numbers started out in a way I didn't recognise from the CD, and at this point I had put away the playlist, deciding to be surprised instead. It was Jonathan Pryce walking out on stage, saying something, then when the music started I let out what could only be described as a cross between a primal scream and the infamous sound simply called nngh; I had instantly recognised the intro to The American Dream from Miss Saigon. I've had that song on my mind all day.

I came to think of a couple of things, though. I have recently become very fond of musicals; I blame a friend of mine for putting on Master of the House from Les Misérables as I visited them three summers ago. I borrowed the CD (the 10-year anniversary concert version) and was hooked a few days later. Up till then I'd thought of theatre as boring and musicals as being the silliest thing around since laserdiscs. I mean, there's no resemblance to real life in musicals; who would suddenly break out singing and tap dancing in real life, unless they were mad? But all of a sudden I realised that musicals were brilliant; they mixed two of the things I hold most dearly: Acting and music. What could be better than that? Thus began my slight interest in musical theatre. I've got a lot of catching up to do, though, especially since I'm interested in new musicals as well as the older ones that are so popular with tourists. My favourites are quite a mixed group. There's Les Mis of course, then I also appreciate Martin Guerre (same composers) and I bet I'll love Miss Saigon (yep, same composers) if I ever find a version I can import tax-free. However, I'm very much into The Fix, which believe me I would have kept running longer by buying lots of tickets if I'd been rich back in 1998. I think Avenue Q has a lot of funny songs and the premise is original too. I'm currently listening to The Boy from Oz, which I think has a lot of potential once I get into it (it certainly has a lot of Hugh Jackman in it); Bounce and Zanna, Don't! Once I followed the story of South Pacific I realised it was very sad and I get emotional every time I listen to it, but it's definitely a favourite. Another one of my all-time favourites only recently became a full-blown musical, and that is Paris. It's a kind of a rock musical, very catchy songs and a great cast on the studio recording. Recommended. Considering I like that one, I'm sure I would also appreciate We Will Rock You, Taboo and Our House (I'm a Madness fan, by the way, became one 20 years after they started out in North London. I feel like I've missed a few decades here.)

The Lord Lloyd Webber musicals are always sure winners, and that made me think about what makes a great musical tune. First of all, it has to be catchy. Not necessarily up-tempo, but something that people will recognise instantly, something they will remember when they leave the theatre. There's a connection to Eurosong tunes there. Second, it must convey feelings. You should associate the catchy song with some kind of strong emotion, be it happiness, sadness, despair, melancholy, love, even childhood memories. When it comes to songs featured in musicals, the lyrics come in second place. People from all over the world travel to Broadway or the West End in order to hear their favourite tunes; many of them understand very little English but music is universal (even though there are regional variations, all music comes from the same source.)

I may have to revise my new theory. Until then I would like to be excused, as I simply have to listen to The American Dream again. Good night!

Current track: Jonathan Pryce - The American Dream

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.