<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

29 August 2004

Extreme Makeover 

The Home Edition - I started watching this about two months ago and I must say that as long as you get through the first 2/3 of the show, which is pure soap opera, it's definitely worth it because of the amazing result and how the families react. I'm green with envy and tell myself "I could do that...with a huge budget and 100 handymen". I just wish the American shows would cut the constant previews, though. Leaves hardly any of the suspense when you're getting told, all through the show, what's going to happen next. I understand that in a world ruled by the number of viewers a show has this is important to keep the obviously too hyper-zapping audience watching even after the (too many) commercial breaks, but it is getting very tedious. I remember giving up on watching telly in NYC because of the frequent breaks; I felt stressed after watching when I was supposed to feel relaxed. Unfortunately some of our channels are picking up on this and are increasing their number of commercial breaks as well. Luckily I usually already own the films they show on DVD, so if I put it on at the same time as the channel starts it, I'm done watching the film up to 30 minutes ahead of the channel. That's 30 minutes I can spend doing other things.

Another extreme makeover I'm hoping to see soon, is the change of American presidents. I know it's much easier to be the opposing party than the ruling one, but I think Bush has made more mess of the situation than I consider acceptable. And once again I would like to stress that every American's vote (that is, those that can be bothered to get their lazy arse out of the sofa and actually find a voting booth, instead of sitting comfortably in their own home, swearing at the telly and saying "it's no use, the politicians won't change anyway" - well, they won't unless you actually vote) is not only a vote for themselves but also for a citizen of The Greater Unknown (AKA The Rest of the World). Because, unfortunately, whomever you elect for President will have a huge impact on our world as well. Unless the US finally decide to lock themselves in, of course, and saying "good-bye, we're outta here", putting everyone on a gigantic spaceship and going to Mars to colonise a new planet. ;-)

Seriously, though, I heard that there are no less than 36 million Americans living in poverty - an increase since Bush took over as President. Time someone gave them some help, don't you think? Now, I'm not going to pretend I live in the world's best country - even though I do, according to the UN, but that just goes to show how much there is to be done, because we've got a lot of problems here as well - but I just don't get it; what's happening to the US, this great nation we've all been looking up to for so long? The country that has no doubt brought an incredible amount of beneficial research, medicines and technology to the world. Great art and entertainment you have given us for many decades, and even though some of your athletes have turned out to be cheaters you have presented us with some great sportsmanship over the years. Oh, and thanks for bringing us McDonald's and Coca-Cola; thanks a bleedin' lot for making us obese as well. *winks* I'm just wondering what on earth happened. The Americans I have met, both here and on my (few) travels, have been nothing but kind, sincere, curious and fun, but for some reason our general impression of the American has changed during these past two decades - The Typical American is looked upon as greedy, full of himself, paranoid, boasting, nationalistic (as opposed to just patriotic), right out stupid (much thanks to Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake, I might add) and with no sense of humour. Oh, and obsessed with plastic and everything that glitters, but that's acceptable. (Especially considering "glitter" comes from old Norse *laughs*) The TV shows you export (i.e. most of them, it seems) do nothing to change this impression, but of course the people you've chosen to lead you and your country are also to blame for this. I wish I knew what the reason for this change is, because I don't like turning into someone who is highly skeptical of everything the US does. It's turned into a farce - whenever the newsreader starts a sentence with "In the US today..." we all roll our eyes and say "what have they done now?" - it's gone automatic.

Help.

Current track: Dave Gahan - Dirty Sticky Floor

Labels: ,

Comments:
"...but I think Bush has made more mess of the situation than I consider acceptable."

Edmund Clerihew Bentley (1875-1956), held no high opinion on Georges, and had he lived a few decades into the future would probably have modified one of his many “clerihews” as follows:

George the first was considered vile,
But viler still George the second.

George the third should never have occurred,
one can only wonder at so grotesque a blunder.

But when George W. Bush from earth descended,
Bob be thanked the Georges ended!

Aug
 
Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.