<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

24 September 2004

London: Oxford Street - a Lesson in Saying 'Sorry' 

I don't know if you realise this, but London is sort of...crowded. Especially Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus - mad tourists on a shopping spree. I usually avoid Oxford Street, but on Friday I had too much time on my hands and went window shopping...or rather, looking for a cheap copy of The Sims 2; I'll get back to that later. Anyway, I'm the kind of person who just cannot stroll. It's physically impossible for me, it seems, to walk any slower than 5 mph. *winks* So trying to go down Oxford Street is a bit of a test and I frequently nearly bump into people. This allows for the usage of the number one favourite word of any Englishman, namely "sorry". Constantly. This is perfectly acceptable to me; I'd do it at home if it were as crowded and we actually did bump into each other on the streets of Oslo, it's just what I'd call good behaviour. However, I am usually surprised at the situations in which an Englishman would apologise for his behaviour. This time it was a lady sitting next to me on the Heathrow Express on the way to Paddington: She sneezed, something I would call a perfectly natural occurence that can't be helped, and immediately said "I'm sorry" - to no one in particular, really. I was so baffled I forgot to say "bless you". It's not like that's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me or anything remotely close to that, it's just that I didn't think it necessary to apologise for something like that.

Other than that, I'm sure I've got English genes in me. :-)

Current track: Queen - Seven Seas of Rhye

Labels: ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.