<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

19 September 2004

London: Where am I Going? 

As a tourist in London, you are probably bound to use the tube quite a lot. As I'm kind of past the "tourist" stage (a few visits back, I'd say), I've developed into one of those who should start to know their way around the LU (London Underground). However, there is this small problem in the way - I'm sort of rubbish at orienting myself. (Whether it be towards the east or not *winks*) Mix that with the usual stubborn determination I have to seem like a veteran Londoner (falls through every time, believe me - I have no clue as to where or even who I am at the end of the day) (ooh, reminds me of Les Mis) and I often get lost when trying to find my bearings. I choose the wrong exit most of the time (Piccadilly Circus is fun) but it has brought me to some interesting places I would have missed otherwise. Also, I've got the time of the world when I'm visiting London - I usually just pass time until the next show.

There are other things about the tube as well. They're called passengers. Some of them are weird. Quite a lot, if not most, in the Central London area are tourists. They look as bewildered as a newborn baby, although not crying as much. Yesterday, as I was heading for Paddington in order to catch the Heathrow Express, this ordinary looking man in his mid-twenties sat down next to me and started reading a magazine. Soon after his index finger found its way to one of his nostrils. It dug. Then it dug some more. I was watching all of this in the mirror image in the opposite window. I was getting nervous as to where the finger was heading next. The whole trip became ridiculous, as this repeated itself several times. He also picked his ears and by the time he started digging into the corner of his left eye I decided it was time for me to leave.

Travelling itself is just a whole lot of waiting around. Waiting for trains, buses, planes, lifts, check-in time etc. I bet about two fifths of my trip was spent waiting for something (that includes sleep; sometimes it's just passing time, waiting to wake up). But it was ok; lots of time to think and relax. Unfortunately the only channel I could receive well enough in my hotel room was Channel Five, which is kind of boring to watch. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to watch the same episode of Home and Away twice. I have to admit I was very bored at that point. I don't even know where in the series they are; last time I watched that show I was staying in Belgium for the summer and was only watching it because the others in the house were watching it religiously and there was nothing else to do. There was one show I just had to watch on BBC1, though, even though the reception was bad, and that was Friday Night with Jonathan Ross - I listen to his radio show every Saturday but I obviously don't get to see his TV show over here, so whenever I can (which is about once a year) I watch that show. Anyway, I didn't go there to watch a lot of telly but it's nice to have something to do when "lounging" after a long day of walking.

Because, yes - I couldn't avoid my usual long walks this time either. I don't know what it is, but every time I go somewhere I always end up walking a lot. That way I get to see a lot of whatever town I'm in, but my feet and back are killing me by the end of the day and I usually get sleepy at around nine, which is a drag if you're going to actually do something during the evening.

Current track: Fatboy Slim - Song for Chesh

Labels: ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.