<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

28 November 2004

The Importance of Being Shakespeare in Love 

After having overslept and missed an entire film starring Dame Julie Andrews and James Garner this morning, I tried to make up for it by watching a couple of films during the evening. I started off with The Importance of Being Earnest, a highly overdue second viewing, and then moved on to Shakespeare in Love, the latter idea brought on by spotting a framed picture I've had standing on the floor in front of my bookshelves for a couple of years now. The picture is one from the film in question, and it's autographed by some of the actors involved. Well, I've never actually believed the autographs to be genuine, I just thought it would look nice on my wall back when I bought it. However, something drove me to investigating a bit further today, and I'm starting to believe the autographs may very well be bona fide, otherwise they've made an enormous effort in forging the signature for a meager amount of money. Roaming the 'Net for photos of their autographs, I happened upon Ellen's autograph site which proved to be very interesting, as she's made a list of all the celebs she's written to, stating the dates of when she sent the letter and when she received a reply. There are also scans of the photos and autographs she has received, and my favourite was the one she got from Richard Curtis. (You should see this for a laugh!)

Now, what's the common denominator for the two films I have watched today? Actually, there are four of them: Dame Judi Dench, Rupert Everett, Colin Firth and Tom Wilkinson - speaking of whom, am I the only one who thinks he is absolutely brilliant? No matter what role he takes on, he does it so well. The same with Geoffrey Rush. I'm so in awe of those two.

And on that note, I'd better get ready for a short night's sleep before heading for the snowy landscape that is Oslo at the moment. Friday was marvellous; as I was walking home from the tube through the rather windy and snowy weather, I noticed that (possibly due to the mini blizzard) no one had used the pavement on which I was walking for at least an hour, and there was velvety snow everywhere. Quite beautiful. But snow is beautiful, until the cars rev up and spew out their toxins. Hollywood snow isn't very real, unfortunately, but on Friday they might as well have filmed Christmas with the Kranks there. Ooh, I saw the trail for that film earlier this month and was slightly embarrassed. I liked the book a lot (quite different from the other books Grisham has written), but the film looks as if it's going to be totally screwball, which I hate. Looks like I have to go back to my old impression of Tim Allen - he was superb in Galaxy Quest but I've never liked him in anything else. Oh, well. I'm not the one losing my money on that film.

Current track: Depeche Mode - Freelove (DJ Muggs Remix) (awfully out of key - erlack!)

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.