<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

15 December 2004

Ups and Downs 

What a perfect title. Three stories for you this time.

The first one is about yesterday, when I discovered that Riget (that would be the original, Danish version of Kingdom Hospital; the American one I managed to avoid and will keep on doing so - it really annoys me when Hollywood has to "fix" something that isn't broken just because they think it's tedious to read subtitles) is out on DVD. I bought the two DVDs (both series) and as soon as it was dark enough (which was at around four in the afternoon; don't move here if you're used to "normal" day and night cycles, for instance if you live in southern California) I put it on. I was supposed to watch one episode only, but I just couldn't put it away and ended up with watching the whole first series; four and a half hours of the most surreal comedy horror series ever made (David Lynch, go home! Twin Peaks was mediocre compared to this!) I'm looking forward to seeing the second series this weekend (hopefully).

The second story is from earlier today, when we went for Christmas lunch at a fancier restaurant somewhere in the smart (some would rather say "posh") area of the city. It's up in the hills and the view is stunning. Usually. Thankfully I've seen it before and could visit anytime, but the poor busload of English tourists there today must have been very disappointed when they experienced the fog being so thick they could hardly see the nearest shrubbery. I felt sorry for them because I know how extraordinary that view normally is. I also felt a bit sorry for them because they treated themselves to the Christmas buffet, and I would imagine they were a bit perplexed. We were actually discussing this among ourselves, in Norwegian, saying they'd probably think the pinnekjøtt (which means "meat on a stick" - but tastes better than it sounds) would be spareribs because it looks a lot like it:

It is, however, made from lamb and therefore wouldn't taste quite as they'd expect. Plus, the garnish is different than what you'd like with your normal spareribs. We must have said "spareribs" once too many or they thought it up themselves, either way we soon heard them saying something about "the spareribs" and so decided to stop commenting on the food from there on. They looked very pleased when they were done, though, so hopefully they didn't think it was awful.

The third story is sort of a two-part one as it actually started last week. I went to see Sound of Musvik (it IS supposed to be a jocular name, not a misprint or a weird, Norwegian way of spelling "music") for the second time last Friday and apart from the fact that it was amazing and all that, I was also directly told off by one of the actors, much to my dismay and yet, at the same time, to my amusement, for not joining in. I concur wholeheartedly, but at the time I was just too embarrassed to do anything even remotely sensible. I got back at myself tonight, as I watched the masterpiece play a third time (and, quite possibly, the last, even though I really, really, REALLY would like to go to the closing night in two days); this time I joined in big time, I even sang in public, something which I haven't done since Year Six or thereabouts. Luckily the whole audience sang, otherwise I wouldn't have. In addition, they both lost track of the plot completely and didn't seem to want to get back to it anytime soon, and I cannot stress this enough: The audience loves this kind of abruption to a comedy. In other words, don't fret if you actually forget your lines, don't run off stage crying or something, because we would most likely love you even more afterwards. The downside to tonight's performance is that it was the last I'll ever see of it. If I hadn't had all that studying thing going on these past few months I would've gone more often; I mean, I've waited for this opportunity to see the two of them working together on such a play for seven years and when it finally happens, the run is much too short and I have too much to do. The annoying bit is that I seriously feel down when I know I'll never see one particular play or show again, and there really is no reason to feel that way, as I know perfectly well it's not the end of the world, especially since I've actually seen it and won't be kicking myself for years on end for missing the entire run (did I hear someone shouting Mysteriet Myrna Vep in the back there?) - silly girl.

All in all, this last year has been supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (sorry, watched Mary Poppins the other day) theatre-wise and I've had such a jolly time I'm having trouble seeing it getting any better than this. Actually, I think I shouldn't live in a city where they've got theatres and brilliant actors...which would rule out most larger cities in the world. It gives me a headache just thinking about all the great plays I'm going to see in the future. Hopefully some of them will be my own.

Current track: Tom & Mick - Somebody's Taken Maria Away (quite fittingly, coming to think of it)

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.