<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

17 January 2005

I Have a Mole? 

Possibly one of the funniest lines ever uttered in a comedy. I first saw Robin Hood: Men in Tights in a Dutch truckstop in the summer of 1994, the sound was turned off and it had Dutch subtitles, but halfway through the film I decided this was definitely something I had to rent once I got back home. It was even better with the sound on. There were several new things I learnt about Robin Hood while watching that film. ;-) Well, it's been ten and a half years and it's still one of my favourite comedies and among those films I must have seen ten times or more. Of the three Robin Hood films that were released during the early nineties, this is the best, then comes Robin Hood (the one starring Patrick Bergin) and last and definitely least, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It is, after all, Kevin Costner, and not even a delightfully wicked Alan Rickman can really save that film. Back to the Mel Brooks version, it's got a brilliant cast (especially Cary Elwes and personal favourite Roger Rees (as the awfully camp Sheriff of Rottingham, the one with the terrible syntax problem)) and the lines are quite simply among the best ever written. It's all very silly and very Mel Brooksy. Three or more thumbs up!

The Golden Globes were announced yesterday (and I forgot all about it, since I don't have any channels anymore that would actually be bothered to transmit the whole show) - there was at least one very good choice made: Geoffrey Rush got the award for best actor in a made-for-TV drama. I've told you before and I'm telling you now as well as long into the future; he is amazingly gifted and deserves all the awards he can get his hands on. Seriously, he can make a crap movie turn into a brilliant one. There are hardly any of those actors around so I think we should pay more attention the minute one actually does appear. Typically, though, no one seems to have noticed his win over here; they listed quite a few of the winners but were all emphasising on the "well-known" (and not necessarily good) actors and series. It's all getting a bit tedious.

Speaking (as usual) about films, I went to the sneak preview of En folkefiende (Enemy of the People) tonight, and...uhmm...I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess the film was OK, and there was a lot of talent around (Jørgen Langhelle is quickly becoming a favourite of mine), but the theme was quite boring, so by the time the film finished I was surprised only ninety minutes had gone by. It wasn't half bad, though, there were moments that were very good, but the subject just wasn't very interesting and that ruined the film for me. Lovely scenery, though, very good for the tourism. Unfortunately, no one abroad would bother to distribute it. :-)

Current track: Leonard Cohen - Nightingale

Labels: , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.