<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

29 March 2005

Sue Me for Negligence! 

Easter came and went and I did nothing to satisfy your blog-hungry hearts!

Like Cato posted in a comment earlier, I went to see three films on Saturday, and they were all above average, so I was very happy. The first one I saw was Så som i himmelen, or As (it is) in Heaven, which is the English translation, the Swedish Academy Award nominee. It was fabulous and I gave it a nine on IMDb. I also gave a nine to the next film I saw that day, Vera Drake. I have to get this off my chest: I watched Million Dollar Baby last week and when I compared the two I think Imelda Staunton should have got the Oscar, not Hilary Swank. Also, I just don't understand how The Aviator was nominated for an Oscar and Vera Drake wasn't. Anyway, water under the bridge and all that. After all, considering how the Academy Award rules are, it shouldn't be a big surprise that not always the right person or film gets the award, or - in this case - the nomination.

The third film I saw was the Hungarian "thriller" (weird drama, more like) Kontroll. Not as good as the two others, but worth the ticket (which at the moment costs £7 in Oslo).

Current track: Nothing, believe it or not.

Labels:

Comments:
Considering the whereabouts of the 'Academy Awards' committee, and the current political climate in that part of the world, I would have thought it politically impossible to hand over any Oscar(s) to Imelda (or Mike). On the other hand it would really have been a blow to the international prestige of the Oscar thing to ignore Vera Drake entirely. Hence Imelda was nominated but I think of this as a hypocritical smoke screen, more or less. Imelda and/or Mike not winning through was a foregone conclusion. However, other and possibly more important prices may be in store down the road … so thumbsup for Vera Drake .. Come to think, of it Imelda is already a three-time winner of England's most prestigious theater prize, the Olivier Award, so I don’t think she’ll be crying her heart out for not getting the Oscar this time around - Aug
 
Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.