<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

15 September 2005

Just Passing by 

Finally, after five days without the 'Net, I'm back for a short visit. Hopefully by this time next week my internet connection will be permanent once again, after almost four months without. Yes, that has been very scary.

On Saturday there was heavy rainfall outside as well as indoors - we were lucky compared to our next-door and upstairs neighbours, whose flats were flooded. Some of it came into our flat as well, but we only needed about ten towels and a bucket and by then the rain had stopped. Who knows what our place would have looked like if we hadn't been at home, though. I think I realise now why the wacky Brits put their electrical sockets halfway up the wall.

It didn't destroy my glee as the fourth series of Spooks started on Monday, though, and in only three days the fifth series of Waking the Dead begins. I am warming up by watching the first series on DVD. Quote from the Radio Times: "Det Supt Boyd (Trevor Eve) and his fantastic beard tackle another gory case". I almost laughed my head off. RT's editor Alison Graham obviously is very fascinated by his beard, not that I blame her.

Anyway. We got our "sorry asses" (thought I should use that expression, since Prince Harry did the very same today, in his first formal interview) off the couch/sofa/settee (all depending on to which class you think you belong) and became involved with a local AmDram group yesterday; my flatmate wants to be on stage all the time while I would like to be as far away from the limelight as humanly possible. Did I hear you shout "set design"? Thought so.

My imported DVD of Evilenko came from Italy via City Airport the other day and was delivered through DHL. Now, that is sad. Made me an even bigger fan of Marton Csokas's, though, which is a good thing (I think).

And finally, as I was looking for facts to support my theory that there are in fact countries out there that don't have any national debt (I protested loudly to this utterance by some previous financial something or other for the British government (it's a bit sad, really, that I didn't catch his name, as that would have made this story much better), as we were watching How to Start Your Own Country (Danny Wallace (or "King Danny", if you're a citizen of Lovely) has to be one of the best new presenters out there, I'm sure - he's so good at what he does that he seems invincible)) - I found this little article from the Telegraph back in 2004 (which would be "last year"). It's about Norway and its relations to the EU. As a firm believer in the EU as well as a fervent pro-EU campaigner back in 1994 (what the hell was I thinking) - even though I wasn't old enough to actually vote - I found this article to be highly interesting (if not just a wee bit too one-sided, but then again hardly any journalism is non-biased these days). A patriot like me wallows in a report like this, but it may also seem like we're awfully selfish. My point of view is that being outside of the EU makes our nation better, our economy flourishes and that way we can contribute much more to the common good of the world than if we were a member. Knowing my luck, this time we'll probably become a member.

I totally forgot about the Norwegian election on Monday, as this country strangely enough was much more interested in the fresh win over the Aussies in the last test of the Ashes; and you're right, I have no idea about cricket. As they were talking about the standing at lunch (I have recently learnt that a cricket match often has two breaks: Lunch and tea. Oh my.) the guy on the news said that the score was 193-5 or something, which meant that things could go either way. In any other sport this would have been a remarkable score, but those cricket maniacs have to show off with their public school code, don't they? I decided I should just wait for the final score and take it from there. Nevertheless, during the weekend I was reminded of the general election back in the old country, and was rather happy about the result. At least the dangerous parties didn't win enough seats to make a majority coalition, which is very good news indeed. Those so-called Christian Democrats and Progress Party (i.e. VERY right wing) people scare me, quite frankly, with all that hate and exclusion they preach. What I find to be ridiculous is how they fail to see that their two agendas can be made into one quite easily. The Christian Democrats don't want to be associated with the rather racist Progress Party, and yet they believe more or less the same things. At least the Progress Party isn't that hypocritical.

Now to some good news. For those of you who actually read the comments on this blog, you may have read Aug's comments about Death of a Salesman (the Oslo version). I finally got to read the reviews today and just as I thought, they seem to think that Dennis Storhøi is too young for the part. I thought the same thing when I heard about it, but then again I'm not a director and should probably keep my mouth shut (even though I don't). Still, good reviews all around...and we do read and heed the reviews when they're on our side, don't we? Ahem. Anyone going to see the play (uhmm...Aug?) had better send my regards to the cast as well as my regrets for not being able to give them most of my money this year, haha! But I'm stuck here for a while, and today I read that Philip Quast will be extending his stay down under until next year. That's just my luck, isn't it.

At least our building may have been on telly last night. That's something, I guess. I'm off to have my usual fish and chips and watch 49Up and all the other quality Thursday viewing. I'm even going to watch The Bill next week, simply because it's going out live.

Current track: Well, I seem to have "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" on my mind.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments:
You forgot the Democrats (not to be confused by a certain american political party), frontet by Vidar Kleppe, in your list of dangerous parties. I checked NRK's election site and approx. 2700 people voted for them in this election. To know that there are 2700 people in this country so far right that they want Vidar Kleppe to have a voice in the way Norway is run is VERY scary indeed. Mind you, when I saw the TV-pictures from Carl I. Hagens carefully planned visit to the Levende Ord sect in Bergen, I was literally frightened when I saw the infants in carriers who were brought along to the meeting. I only hope they grow up to have more sensibility than their parents. Though chances are they'll be brainwashed by then. Sigh.
 
Re: Brainwashing. I'm currently following an interesting documentary called "No Sex Please, We're Teenagers" and one aspect of the programme is the vast difference between English and American Christians. The sect you're talking about, Levende Ord (Living Words or something like that), is very similar to the way the televangelists "over there" are conducting their so-called church services. It's quite amazing how they manage to simply brainwash people because they find their weak point and use all the force they can muster in order to break them down through mass hysteria, really. It's a gigantic show and it is very scary.

So when a political party with a large following, like the Progress Party, starts mingling with the sects (that remain secluded for a reason), it all goes downhill from there. I've always been of the belief that politics and religion is a very dangerous mix (of course, I believe that organised religion in itself is very dangerous), and in Norway we currently have two such parties.

But hey, at least we've got rid of that clergyman from the top spot in Parliament.
 
Re: “Anyone going to see the play (uhmm...Aug?) had better send my regards to the … “

Will do :-)

Actually I’ll be in the position to convey your regards to a much wider class of fortunate and deserving recipients. Apart from “The Death of …” I’d already planned to see “What the people wants” (Are Kalvø) – Det Norske Teatret and “Kristin Lavransdatter” – Trøndelag Teater, in the course of this autumn. Now it turns out that a friend has got to spend several months abroad, quite unexpectedly. Thereby a multitude of tickets already purchased was turned into a splendid donation and I’ll be happy to include:

Kari Bremnes, The Dandy Warholes (which will bring back nostalgia and memories of Velvet Underground),and Eva Dahlgren at Rockefeller, and later on Depeche Mode at Spektrum in February.

Regards to all and sundry then?
 
Depeche Mode! Ahh... At first I thought "I am so envious", but then I remembered I was lucky enough to see them at the Spektrum some years ago. The concert was fab (even though I inadvertently turned into a saluting neo-nazi there for half a song, until I realised what I was doing...oops), and I am currently listening to all their albums in chronological order. Send my regards to the boys; I saw them performing on Top of the Pops last week and they looked as good as always, just a wee bit older than last time I saw them.

Kari Bremnes has (un)fortunately just turned into a jocular quote from the brilliant Team Antonsen series (the creators of which I hear started a new series the other day...hopefully I'll be able to see it through the Net soon), so I can't take her seriously. Her brother makes good music, though.
 
Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.