<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

26 October 2005

Theatreland Visit Again 

Yesterday we went to the V&A to finally see the exhibition of Queen Maud's wardrobe. It was exquisite. I would truly recommend it, even for people like me who can't stand looking at clothes on mannequins for more than three minutes or so.

We then headed for the Criterion, where we picked up our tickets for Otherwise Engaged later that evening, before trying to find an empty table in any of the restaurants near Leicester Square (which is a nightmare at around six on a weekday of half-term, let me tell you). We eventually ended up at one of our usuals, Garfunkel's.

I had completely missed the fact that Peter Wight was going to be in Otherwise Engaged, so that was a very nice surprise. Especially when it turned out that he was the best actor there that evening. Now, don't get me wrong. Or do, and see if I care. I think Richard E. Grant is dead cool and I've had a thing for David Bamber since 1992, but they're both definitely stage actors. Or so I thought. David is brilliant on stage, but Richard...well, it is hereby confirmed that he's not a good actor. He is perfect in both Gosford Park and Spice Girls the Movie (*grins*), but he was a let-down in Otherwise Engaged. And the play was pretty boring during the second act. I wouldn't recommend it, and it hurts me badly to say so. It didn't even help that I could have tripped Richard after the show if I wanted to. Anyway, Anthony Head was pretty good as the drunken friend. And then suddenly there was nudity on stage; not quite used to that, but it seemed to go down well with the audience after the initial titter (slight pun intended).

After stopping by McDonald's to buy milkshake at ten thirty (I can't stand McDonald's but they do have the best milkshake), we went home to watch Medium before playing UNO for two hours.

This afternoon we decided to take a chance on going to see Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Wererabbit despite the enormous possibility of an invasion of children. I think it's safe to say that most of the paying customers there today were underage, but it was ok. We were going to see Nanny McPhee too, but neither of us could take another two hours of being surrounded by children, so we postponed our plans. This is why I need to see the fourth Harry Potter film (which I thought Jonathan Ross called The Goblin of Fire last week) late on a school night. Besides that, the film was funny, but my expectations were a bit higher than what I ended up thinking about the film.

And in case I've forgotten, I'd love to recommend Madagascar. Absolutely brilliant! And please start giving the dubbing actors their due recognition! They should be mentioned at the very beginning of the credits so that most people would actually know about them. Many films don't even include their names, which annoys me greatly.

Current track: Inspiral Carpets - Come Back Tomorrow

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.