<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

02 August 2006

Back to the Theatre 

Went to the Royal Court Theatre on Saturday to see the National Youth Theatre's rendition of Savages by Christopher Hampton. The whole play, about Cuba, Brazil and aborigines, was very good and I couldn't help but crying at the end. The actors were mainly good, although some of them will need more training. Unfortunately I cannot let you know who appeared, as I was too cheap to buy a programme.

I did, however, buy the souvenir programme for Evita yesterday as I went there for the second time. That particular programme had not yet been made the last time I visited, presumably because it was during the previews. Remember my saying the last time that if the previews were that good, how brilliant would the show turn out? Well, I was right (of course) - the show has only got better and I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I would love to see it yet again. I would recommend seats on the 3rd-5th rows, around number 18-22 for anyone wanting to take a(n expensive) look. This area is just perfect for seeing the whole thing, as I discovered last night.

Unfortunately I was once again part of an embarrassing audience, i.e. one that did not give a standing ovation. I was embarrassed when I saw the actors' reaction to that; they seemed genuinely surprised and disappointed! So I vow to stand up the next time, no matter who else will join me (quite possibly none at all).

I finally had the chance to attend an interview for a National Insurance number this week, and that was an interesting and very boring experience. First of all, the Walthamstow DWP building has seen better days. Obviously way back in the sixties or something. I was going to say some of the employees had seen better days too, but that would be plain rude of me, so I won't. Well, the whole ordeal took about 1 1/2 hours, excluding the actual bus trip (with one change) to and fro the venue. That took another 2 hours, including waiting time. But of course, my local job centre, which is a ten-minute-walk away from my house, would not do. I guess I should be thankful I didn't have to go to what appears to be my tax office...in Sheffield. Or Glasgow. I forget. Perhaps because I have had several since I started working here. What a joke. I am clearly in the middle of the Core of Bureaucracy.

We started watching that How to Solve a Problem Like Maria programme on Saturday, where Lord Lloyd-Webber tries to find Maria for his new Sound of Music production in the West End. I was a bit scared, but at the same time there is so much talent there, so many to choose from, that he will definitely make sure that the final ten or whatever, the ones we as the audience may vote for, are all people he would be confident about letting onto the stage. Otherwise who knows whom we, the public, would choose. Have mercy.

I had an idea for a sub-plot the other day while watching Must Love Dogs (yay, Elizabeth Perkins is always fun), and I think I may be able to weave it into my current, huge project (still only in my mind and on a few pieces of paper spread across my room and several bags). It is, of course, going to be absolutely fab and everyone will love it.

Or summat.

And last, but not least, a belated greeting goes to Philip Quast who started his fiftieth year on this earth on Sunday. He didn't seem to have aged much when I saw him yesterday, and his voice was still...heavenly...wonderful, so I think we have nothing to fear yet (except for his future refusal of doing anything music-related). And when I say "we" I mean the half-crazy fans of his...no, sorry, I meant the creme de la creme of his admirers, yes, that's it. Ahem.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.