<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

14 July 2007

Coming Up: My Holiday 

I have been looking forward to this for a very long time. Basically since my last holiday, I think, which was in May and lasted too long.

Of course, holidays cannot really last too long, but in my case it's a mix between bad conscience for not being at work and being afraid everything will have changed at the office by the time I come back. Duh.

I have plans. Many plans which will only be half-completed, I know. For instance, I am going to move things about a bit, but that requires me to work over-time with my VHS to DVD Transferral Project(TM), so basically I will not be able to move anything at all. Then, of course, I cannot do anything while I am enjoying the nailbiting last book in the Harry Potter series (the reason for why I'm taking a holiday in the first place)--which also includes being in contact with anyone else, be it physically or via the Internet or other media, just in case they will divulge the end of the book or some very important plot twist. I am also going to the cinema and to the theatre a couple of times, and I am going to do some baking. Yes, you heard me. Well, you read me. Sort of.

In addition to this, I still have a lot of non-fiction books to read through and I have recently bought (too) many plays that I want to read. I am definitely beginning to invest in my future profession, and about time, too! Then, of course, more entertainment is needed; I have been pining for the Playstation 3 for weeks now, so I expect to spend a few hours playing that in the evening, but I will also have to make time for watching four Japanese horror films I bought about a month ago (all this has to happen in the evening when it's dark, you see, otherwise I will not be scared enough). And then, suddenly...the whole holiday is over.

Good thing I'm preparing for the worst.

I got a lot of...well, actually, I have got a lot of things in the post lately. I think I broke my old record last Monday when I received six books, a couple of CD's, nine DVD's and a DVD recorder. They were all on sale, ok? Well, not the recorder, but it was a definite must-have. But I have been receiving books and DVD's for weeks now, and my room is shrinking, I swear! There strangely enough is less room now than before I bought all those things! I wonder why. 14 of the CD's I have received lately came from the US. Imported musical CD's. Lots of great stuff there. My favourite so far is (of course) Spamalot. Oh, how I wish I could have seen Tim Curry and especially Hank Azaria doing that show on Broadway. Alas, it was not to be, so I will have to settle for the recording, which is also very good. My (cliched) favourite being "The Song That Goes Like This".

On the last day of Sweeney Todd I told the lady next to me that I wasn't a Stephen Sondheim fan, but that he was growing on me. Of course, looking at my collection, I have come to realise I actually have quite a few of his musicals already: Bounce, The Frogs, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, West Side Story, Company, A Little Night Music, Anyone Can Whistle and very soon Into the Woods, Follies and Sweeney Todd. Hmm...not a fan, you say? Well, it's true. It takes some time getting used to, and I have realised why. Sondheim is more...complex than other musical composers. In effect, it is not quite like the lighter, typical Broadway musical. His often have more musical depth and intricate movements than other musicals and it is, for me, as a complete novice when it comes to musicals, unexpected when one does tend to see musicals as something with a happy-go-lightly base. Still, with a Sondheim collection like mine I assume I will grow to like all of it.

Nevertheless, it feels great to have expanded my musical collection a bit.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.