<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

10 August 2007

I Really am Damien! 

My last post was actually the 666th of this blog. Now, I know that recent studies have unveiled that 666 isn't actually the devil's number, but it's still imprinted in our collective mind as such and thus I felt the need to point it out.

Now, what I logged back in here to do, was to be mean. Yesterday was a chaotic day at work. My colleague had decided to take the whole day off just as we implemented a new security feature on our site. We were bound to get contacts, but we had never anticipated as many as we did. So I was basically swamped all day and worked overtime (not paid for, of course, because their O/T policy sucks big time) to get through everything. Managed to steer clear of a catastrophe by having the people in charge revert the security feature. So today has been fairly quiet in comparison.

However, I thought I was going to be really tired when I finally got back home. The last two days I have gone to bed rather early (two nights ago I was about to go to bed at half past eight, but then I persuaded myself to stay up by putting on a film...followed by another one), so I was certain I would fall asleep on the tube and then just continue that after I got home. But no. I took a detour to the local supermarket and bought some food and then felt rejuvenated when I came out of there. This feeling stayed with me all evening.

The mean part was meant for my Norwegian friends. OK, so most of my regular, Norwegian readers (have) live(d) abroad, but I want to do this nevertheless. I have lived here for more than two years now and am still not getting used to the low price of food (among other things). Yesterday's shopping trip, I ended up with half a guadaloupe melon, a quarter of a honeydew melon and likewise of a water melon, two large peppered burgers (I love these, by the way), half a kilo of chips (as in pommes frites) and four buttered pain-au-chocolat. I was ready to use my card when the lady said "that'll be five pounds twenty-five, please". How much would this have cost me in Norway? Well, I remember frequently paying at least a couple of hundred of kroner for a meagre shopping bag of groceries. The two burgers I bought cost less combined than one would have cost in Norway's cheapest supermarket chain (which would be...Rema 1000? Or Rimi?). It's insane.

Then, of course...who knows what the current threat/beginning of an outbreak of foot-and-mouth will bring. Fingers crossed.

PS! 10 pounds on Aug bringing up the even lower prices where he usually hangs out. :p DS.

Labels: ,

Comments:
I proudly confess to knowing next to nothing about the price of burgers (peppered or otherwise) in that neck of the woods where I usually hang out (you’re referring to northern Lusitania I presume?). Normally I’d rather eat worms! However, to save you the discomfort of having to shelve out 10 quid to all and sundry I volunteer to inform your readership that prices of food down there are generally pleasantly low. In particular I remember that when I last asked the local butcher (my ‘Supertalho da Praia’) for some exquisite rib steak of veal (the quality needed to make ‘Saltimbocca alla Romana’ mind you!) that venture only set me back some £3 a kilo.

It suddenly springs to mind that I do know something about exorbitant prices of burgers in Oslo after all. A couple of days ago I had a meal at Bacchus in ‘Kirkeristen’ to fortify myself before meeting up with ‘The Rolling Stones’. When my companion ordered a Lam(m)eburger, they had the cheek to ask for £13, so there you go …. More importantly, in early September I’ll be in the position to tell you about the price of a good fez in Rabat – Morocco. I can check out the cost of a superb black burkah as well in case anyone is interested :-)
 
Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.