<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

03 August 2007

You Can't Stop the Beat 

After spending most of the day waiting for the postman, who apparently was on strike, I went to see Hairspray. It was silly and exaggerated just like I had expected, and I loved it (of course, having listened to the music for weeks, I was biased to begin with). The make-up and costume departments must have had a lovely time on this film. Unfortunately there were a couple of people sitting behind me who kept chatting (as opposed to whispering) throughout most of the musical numbers, but I knew the songs by heart anyway and did my best to ignore them.

Yesterday I went to see The Pain and the Itch at the Royal Court, and it was very good. The point of the play was reportedly to make the audience uncomfortable about their own often bigoted life situation. One thing which stuck with me was when they discussed upbringing and the middle class man defended his child-rearing by stating that he only wanted the best for his children, to give them an advantage in life, at which the working class man said "An advantage over my children?"

Anyway, I thought Matthew Macfadyen was good in this play. Quite different from how I have seen him portray people on-screen lately (not a fan of his Spooks character, for instance, but at the same time that particular style suited his character in Secret Life). However, my favourite was Peter Sullivan. I remember him from the film Conspiracy and it was a real treat to see him on stage.

Tonight we saw the end of the brilliant True Dare Kiss on telly, and I must say it had an excellent plot, through which the progression was perfectly paced. I would have loved to read the actual script. Good actors, too. Paul Hilton is currently playing in the West End, but since it's against Orlando Bloom available tickets are scarce and therefore I would rather wait until there is another chance to see him on stage, as I thought his portrayal of Dennis in this series was inspired.

Labels: , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.