<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

08 October 2007

Theatre and Such 

Not sure if this is normal, but for as long as I can remember I've had flashbacks, seemingly totally unrelated to what I am doing or thinking at the time, of events in my life or dreams I have had, years and even decades previously, a bit like electric impulses which lead me to the weirdest situations (suddenly giggling while being crushed on the tube, for instance). Then again, I also experience deja vus on a weekly basis, so clearly my brain isn't functioning normally. Earlier today I had this flashback of a play I saw last year, and suddenly remembered that I'd seen Paul Hilton before seeing him in the quite extraordinary drama series True Dare Kiss. We saw him on stage in On the Third Day.

We went to the theatre last week, our first WOS outing, to see a preview of Glengarry Glen Ross. It was well-acted thanks to a strong cast and director, even though there were some hiccoughs along the way. But hey, that's what previews are for! (Or, in Anders Hatlo's case, that's what most performances are for (and I say that in the most affectionate fashion).) The evening ended with a Q&A with the cast and director, and I was rather giddy because I had completely missed the fact that Paul Freeman, of whom I have been a semi-fan for more than a decade, was going to appear in the play and also took the time to join the Q&A afterwards. In fact, the whole cast but one (Jonathan Pryce, but giving most people the benefit of the doubt (yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking, doesn't sound like I care about other people in my posts), I would guess he would have wanted to join us if he could) took the time to stay behind for about 20 minutes to discuss aspects of the play with us. I absolutely loved the fact that I had apparently backed the right horse all the way, even though I boycott horseracing because of animal cruelty (funny I should work in the betting industry, then, ahem...), because Freeman, who frequently plays the villain, turns out to be a very likeable person and stood out as being very open towards the audience (the only one, apart from the director, actually looking at the audience when answering questions) and also intelligent and with a sense of humour. I knew it!

My next venture into Theatreland will be Hairspray in late November. I am looking forward to that to such a degree that I am almost about to burst, and to top it off I am going to something which will give me even more euphoria the very next day--details to be revealed only AFTER I've been there, as otherwise I will probably jinx it. Grrr.

And more theatre, my flatmate seems to be settling in ok at the new school--she had a lot of things to read last week (which eventually turned out to be not as much as she had first thought, but still...) and lots of new stuff to get used to, so this will keep her (and me as well, to a certain extent) occupied for a long time.

Me? Reading lots of textbooks at the moment. Got a new highlighter today, thanks to the previously mentioned flatmate, and I have started using my PDA again (superb dictionary installed on the memory card) so I am raring to go! Ah, the little pleasures in life.

Labels: , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.