<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

30 December 2007

Why Norway is So Stinking Rich 

Well, there's the oil, of course.

Apart from that, there is the high taxation on everyone living there, or thinking of living there, or for some bizarre reason would like to live there but cannot afford to...you get the picture.

For me, even though I've lived abroad for almost three years and have only visited there for a few days during that time, the whole thing is very complicated. You have to send in a self-assessment report to Revenue & Customs which is supposed to be easy to fill out, but only if you think what they've already filled in for you is correct. The minute you realise something is amiss, that's when the fun starts.

I remember when I was little that my dad used a whole evening to fill out every minute detail on his and Mum's reports. That was the only time of year that the Big Calculator was brought out. Of course, later on my mum owned a shop and that meant even more evenings with the damn report on the kitchen table, and that was just for their personal reports, because she already had an accountant for the shop.

I take a look at all the rules and fine print and still can't get my head around how much I'm supposed to pay and to which country. You see, they like putting taxes on absolutely EVERYTHING in Norway, even things with which they don't really have anything to do. My biggest fear is ending up paying double tax, because OBVIOUSLY I cannot afford that.

...although I did manage to win 20/1 on my puny five-pound-multiple bet on three football matches yesterday. I quickly withdrew the money from my account there so I wouldn't be tempted to "just place another bet; how difficult could it possibly be?" Disclaimer: I do not endorse gambling! Believe me, I have mostly lost my money when gambling, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Labels: ,

Comments:
Dear!

I want to wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Thanks for the old, like we say over here. *lol*

I am celebrating new years alone. For the 3rd years in a row. I don't really mind either, is that weird perhaps!? I like my own company. Plus the people I know either have plans that don't include single persons with no children, or they are going to drink and party like crazy which I don't like. So then, I will rather stay at home.

Thank you for your comment by the way. Yes, your tattoo is really lovely I think. Oh, thinking about getting more eh!? What kind of then?

And oh yes, in the beginning of 2008 we have known each other for 10 years. Can you imagine. Even though we don't talk that much, I still like you and care about you!

Love and hugs

EV :-)
 
Sweetie!

I am celebrating New Year's on my own too, and why shouldn't I, since that's the way I like it? I think perhaps that the last time I celebrated the transition was with you guys in Østfold when it was really, really cold and your landlady gave even ME a hug (and I had just met them), LOL! Oh, and the year before that I celebrated semi-alone in YOUR flat together with Shira, I believe. 2xLOL!

Besides, staying at home for New Year's means I can make sure no darn fireworks enter my flat! *touches wood*

I've already bought cheese and wine and crackers and all that stuff, so I'm all set for the weeping and melancholy. Have to get up early in the morning to go to work, though, so hopefully the neighbours won't be having a loud party!
 
Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.