<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

07 January 2008

Taking Off Completely 

Seems I don't really know myself very well after all. Apparently this "Greg Proops phase" isn't even close to being short-lived. In fact, it has more or less taken over my life. It's the fastest-growing obsession I've had since Alan Rickman back in 2001. To put it into perspective for those who know me: I got a new game five days ago and haven't even unpacked it yet. Worse, still: I have almost forgotten that I lost out on seeing Philip Quast on stage again, in my favourite musical, last Wednesday due to my tube station being closed because of some emergency.

Yes, it's THAT bad.

I spend six hours every day watching old clips (because there are no new ones) and whole episodes of both versions of Whose Line is it Anyway?. Some of the episodes I have already seen four times!

I draw the line at buying Bob the Builder DVD's. (Yep, he provides the voice in the US version, I think it is (since Neil Morrissey is the UK one.))

He'd better not make a public appearance in England soon. My wallet can't take it. Among other things.

Speaking of which, I now know what to spend my hard-earned winnings from last week on; the electricity bill came the other day. But at least I saved 117 pounds earlier today. I thought my PDA had said goodbye after only two months usage. None of the suggestions on their FAQ site helped. I was going "duh, of course I've tried this and that, what do you think I am; stupid?" None of the soft, warm or hard resets helped, it was just dead. One of the suggestions was to make a hard reset with the charger plugged in. I'd already tried the charger before, so didn't think it would do me any good, but it was the only thing left, and so I plugged it in, turned around and started writing my rather harsh email to their support (once I could finally FIND their support hidden away in some link cul-de-sac). As they asked for the serial number, I turned back to the PDA to find it, and lo and behold the screen had lit up and was awaiting my command. Uhmm...

So I guess the investment in the PDA itself and all the software for it wasn't a complete waste. Must look out for battery-drenching applications, though.

I also invested in my first DAB radio the other day, and I love it! I've set it to record all sorts of things and I can finally listen to BBC 6Music without having to waste energy etc. on turning on both my telly and Freeview decoder! I am in love (with my radio as well.) Also, it records programmes and has a built-in programme guide. And to top it off, Radio 4 will be featuring The Prince by Machiavelli, read by Peter Firth, all week. Oh, glee.

Also, to explain this new obsession further: I got hold of an imported version of Holocaust, a mini-series I've wanted to see for about ten years, since my mum said it was the first thing she saw with James Woods in it and which made her loathe him (reading about the plot, I don't really see why, but I must have misunderstood something.) It has been impossible to find anywhere, though, so how legal the version I bought is (although it looks ok), I don't know. So anyway, I got it around the same time as the previously mentioned game and still haven't started watching it. The Proopster and his minions have somehow got hold of my mind. And EV, don't mention your old theories about me! ("Another one???" :D ) *plays some Pet Shop Boys to get back to her normal self*

Went to see The History Boys at the Wyndham's Theatre last week and found it entertaining (but slightly too long). Fun to see Desmond Barrit again, especially since his role was very different (duh!) from the only other part I've seen him do on stage (which was the protagonist in the brilliant NT production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum in 2004.) I liked the efficiency of the set design and the use of projection screens to bind the scenes together. (I know, I'm not exactly known for my elaborate and critical reviews, so just shut up - other sites and newspapers out there do that.)

I have gone around...well, sat in my office chair...all day, humming the tune of (get this) Cliff Richard's song from 1980 (I think): Wired for Sound. Quirky music video (he is rollerskating around with some people wearing spandex and Walkmans), but I like the rhythms. However, going around all day with that tune in my head was driving me slightly mad. YouTube was the solution during my lunch break, but Cliff crept back into my head afterwards.

Yesterday, though, the tune of the day was Mera Meti Mera by Antique.

Ooh, just remembered I have to mention: The Beeb have made the right choice in buying Damages from FX in the US, and I hope that every right-thinking Brit started watching it yesterday! ;-) I liked it a lot and would definitely recommend it. It's like everything Murder One aspired to be, and then some, but never even came (Glenn) close to.

My god, that must have been the lousiest pun ever. I clearly have not learnt a thing from watching (too) much Whose Line is it Anyway? and I hang my head in shame. At least for a couple of seconds, before I turn on the telly again to watch...no, not WLIIA, but Lenny Henry (or rather the "funny clips" RadioTimes claims he will be showing.)

Speaking of comedians I don't really like anymore...I have high hopes for the UK version of Thank God You're Here, which is filming these days. Even if Paul Merton is hosting it. I have seen a few episodes of the Australian original plus all the episodes of the US one (which unfortunately only lasted for seven episodes) and think the premise is very funny indeed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.