<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

26 December 2008

One Big, Happy Family 

For the past half hour or so, I've been reading through the list on Wikipedia showing the line of succession to the British throne. There are some very interesting entries there.

King Constantin II of Greece is number 424 in the line, and his wife, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece is number 232, because she is the sister of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, who is much further up the line.

The Duke of Edinburgh (better known as Prince Philip, the husband of current ruler Queen Elizabeth II) is number 485 in the line!

The most interesting of all, to a patriot like myself, is that the first non-British on the list is our very own King Harald V of Norway and his descendants - and this means that we beat the Swedes again! LOL!

What's more annoying is that the antiquated British laws surrounding throne succession prefer males to females, so Princess Ingrid Alexandra, number two in line in Norway, is below her little brother, Prince Sverre Magnus, in the British line, even though he is number three in Norway. Silly! (Of course, I should probably add we had a similarly antiquated law ourselves until 1990, so I'll soon get off my high horse...)

This proves once and for all, if there ever was any doubt, that the European royal houses are basically built on in-breeding. Just goes to show what the class system does to you. ;-)

In other news, I paid my first visit to a proper off-licence on Christmas Eve; it was the local one and they had a nice selection and nice prices. No need to stand in line in Morrison's, in other words! Unfortunately the wine I chose tasted so nice I quickly finished half the bottle during my Christmas lunch yesterday, making the Christmas special of Doctor Who slightly difficult to follow, but all the more fun!

I started the day watching the original Miracle on 34th Street, which was more modern than I had anticipated (being from 1947 and all), and then continued with Victoria Wood with All the Trimmings, which I hadn't seen in years. Panic struck on the 23rd as I simply couldn't find my copy of Love Actually, so I had to settle for Freaky Friday (which I love anyway, so no matter, really) that night. I couldn't let another day without the festive Richard Curtis flick go by, though, and ventured back to the Shelves of Disarray on Christmas Eve to find Love Actually most probably exactly where I'd left it. There was much rejoicing.

Yesterday also featured a very welcome look back at the Blackadder series, filled with new interviews with the contributors, actors etc. Who'd've thought that one of the most memorable scenes in a comedy ever (the end of series four--if you don't know what I'm talking about, I seriously doubt we have anything in common), was actually quite shit in its original format and was made into such an iconic scene only due to some brilliant editors? Wow.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.