<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

12 January 2009

Some More Golden Oldies... 

...this time from the TV drama department. Actually, they're not necessarily that old, but they bring back good memories and are still considered solid drama series. One day when I have the space and funds for it, I would like to increase my collection so that it contains series such as Upstairs Downstairs, The Forsyte Saga, The Onedin Line, Family at War, To Serve Them All My Days, The Secret Army and Tenko (the latter two have been shown on UKTV History, which now shows The House of Eliott, as previously mentioned, so there is hope for other quality shows as well).

However, I'm still working on my complete collection of the Aussie A Country Practice (a huge project in itself), and some time down the line I will get the complete series of the Canadian Road to Avonlea and all of the original Degrassi series. I think I need a bigger place.

Now, what brought all of this on? Well, it's an interesting story. OK, so maybe it isn't, but I'm going to tell you anyway. And blame Amazon and IMDb along the way.

I was watching The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, a film following the freed slave Jane through her long life, starting with the Civil War, ending up in the early 1960s and the start of the Civil Rights movement. I then naturally remembered the excellent Roots, and thought of the brilliant (albeit soapy) North and South. From here my mind wandered to another old favourite of mine, How the West Was Won (I always have to look up the title, as we just called it The Macahans), and from there I started thinking about all these great drama series from before the glossy nineties, back when they had the time to make a long intro and an equally long extro, granting all involved in the filmmaking an equal share of screen time. Isn't that a fascinating story? :p (I'm going to block comments so that question remains rhetorical, haha!)

At the same time I bought Press Gang more than a year ago and still hasn't finished more than half of the first series, so I have a feeling there's no rush to get other titles just yet, ahem!

Labels: ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.