<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

04 March 2009

Empire's Here! 

Empire: Total War came in the post yesterday (together with a parcel from Amazon I had my flatmate to open in case it was something I hadn't ordered, and it was, so I'll open it on my birthday on Saturday), and I was filled with glee. Unfortunately I was told as I was at work, early in the morning, so I spent the day looking forward to getting back home (more than usual, I mean :p).

A word of warning, if anyone googles "Empire: Total War" and "install" and other nifty words like that and browses through to page 6507* of the search results and decides to give this blog a visit: This does require a Steam account. And an internet connection on the computer you're installing to. And some degree of patience.

For all non-users of Steam: First of all, install it to the hard drive where you keep your games, because apparently there is no way to get it to install downloaded games etc. to a different location to where it itself is situated. Secondly, once you have started the installation, opened an account and can see the Steam main window where it is frantically trying to get in touch with the Steam server to start downloading, EXIT the program and then restart it by using cmd, typing in "steam -install e:" (where "e:" is the letter of the DVD drive where you keep the Empire DVD). It will then install from the two DVDs you got. Otherwise it will download the whole thing, which could take ages as it's 15GB in size.

The game itself looks awesome (a word I seldom utilise). I only got to play through the two tutorials (one for land battles and one for naval battles), then started a new a game and basically stared at the screen for about 45 minutes, reading up on all the different possibilities and moving only two agents and one fleet during that time. I didn't even end the turn before saving and going to bed. It's that massive. (Of course, one turn won't take 45 minutes from here on in, I hope, haha!) I thought Medieval II: Total War was huge, and this is even bigger. I am salivating just thinking about it (and because lunch is approaching).

If you don't believe me, here are a couple of screenshots to gaze at longingly.

*) Actual page number not available at time of publishing.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.