<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

13 April 2009

Boys from the Dwarf, innit? 

Yeah, whatever. Back to Earth is over and done with...although not quite. I'm recording all three episodes in a row tonight so that I can edit them and watch them in one go, until the awaited DVD/Blu-Ray release in June. I have lots of thoughts about the episodes and I must have read about 1000 thoughts that other people have; clearly Red Dwarf stirs up a whole lot of emotions in people, one way or another!

So I'm going to edit the thing tonight, which means I won't actually SEE it tonight. I realised this is the first time ever that I got to see Red Dwarf on its first screening; having suffered from the Norwegian Handicap Syndrome (NHS? Hmm...) for years and having to rely on transmissions years after the initial release, this has marred me, yet made me stronger. OK, so I'm talking out of my arse. But the Norwegian Handicap Syndrome has been a problem for someone who became an anglophile at the age of eleven. I used to buy UK mags when I could find and afford them, and kept cuttings and adverts on my bedroom walls during my teens. I had an A4-page ad for some Have I Got News for You video next to my bed for years! (Bear in mind this was pre-Internet. Please. Although I did buy that video many years later on eBay, LOL!) I noticed Armando Iannucci during the summer of 1995, when I was stuck in a hotel room in Hoogeveen, Holland, and had almost fainted when noticing they got BBC1 and BBC2 on terrestrial telly. So I was watching Friday Night Armistice there. Took another eight years or so before I got to see much more of his work, though (The Day Today, by the way; bought the DVD on a whim).

Then again, it took me no less than 19 years to get all of the Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes, which is a complete travesty for someone who used to be so hooked (and bored out of her mind) that she wrote Monty Python quotes all over her jeans when she ran out of space on her pencil-case and desk and arms.

No, I have never, ever been obsessive about anything! How very dare you! ;-)

Speaking of obsessed; I cannot believe I completely missed Five starting showing Massive Speed last week--especially since I was searching for any DVD release of that series last week. How blind is it possible to get? After all, it's important I get to see and buy everything Chris Barrie has ever appeared in before the obsession wears off and I start regretting buying all that crap, LOL! (Been there, done that, with many others, and he's not going to be the last one, I'm sure!) (To my defense, I have mostly bought only the good stuff (as in "series/films they've appeared in", not as in "drugs"))--which means in CJB's case I'm avoiding Back in Business--then again I'm a completist collector, so if I ever win a big prize in the lottery...oy vey! (Luckily for my wallet, again in CJB's case, I already owned Filthy Rich and Catflap, The Young Ones, The New Statesman and Blackadder, being a Rik Mayall fan, after all, and Simon the Sorcerer, being an avid gamer)

Well, the football is on, so I'm going to hide my head in the sand until I can run home from work and prepare for Massive Speed and The Gadget Show. Yay!

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.