<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2,000 hamsters can't be wrong.

20 November 2006

Procrastination part 2 

Yep, still haven't written one single word today. But I'm very proud that I managed to waste someone else's time as well.

My flatmate came into my room with one of the handsets.

"It's for you, I don't know who it is."

So I grabbed the phone and the guy at the other end started talking. It became obvious, seconds before reaching for the handset, that he was going to sell me something. And this guy had done it before, I could tell. He didn't give you the chance to say no at an early stage (I bet the company has worked out the perfect introduction to prevent this from happening - you can't really say no until you know what it's about, can you? Well, I usually do anyway) - so I decided I'd just let him do his routine and get to know me better and try to be my mate. He had the right comments for any reply I gave him, so I played along, laughed in all the right places and all that. When I told him I have experience in his line of work, he thought it would be easy to just reel me in, and I could tell he was very happy.

At the point where he wanted to take down my bank details to set up Direct Debit, and he asked "would you give me your six-digit-sort code, please?", I answered "no, I wouldn't, actually. Do you have a website instead, where I can read more about this?" He went on to give me the address and try to assure me that giving them my details would be perfectly safe. My clincher was "I know, but I never give my details on the phone." He could only say "fair enough", as it is impossible to try to reason with an illogically-inclined person. So after fifteen minutes of wasting his precious time (I did say "sorry if this does not give you any commission"), we were done. For the record, I will not visit their website.

My other favourite illogical clincher is when one of the infamously annoying phone companies ring me and the operator says:

"Can I interest you in a good deal?"
"No."
"Well, what do you spend on your phone right now?"
"None of your business."
"I can give you a deal where you not only pay less than now, but also get a brand new phone and cashback every time you use the phone."
"Well, I don't want it."
(Annoyed, thinking the next argument will make me reconsider) "So you do NOT want to pay less, have a new phone and even get money from us?"
"Nope. Thanks for your time. Good bye."
"..."

You just cannot argue with a stupid person. :-)

Labels: ,

Comments:
Sobbing, I know I am the fattest... Fuck your IP guy! *lol*

Anywhooo... This was very funny. I've gotten those phonecalls myself, and thought I'd write about it. Probably won't be half as good as yours... Especially the last one. I was being harassed by an ugly guy at the train station in stavanger. He had so much teeth it couldn't be good. Looked dreadful. Well, he was that type; "Do you want to spend less on your phone". I said to him I don't think it is possible, as I spend about 34 kroner every month. He just kept going on and on, and I did what you did; asked for a web site. that's a good one.

Take care

Snap, crackle and pop

Monsoon
 
Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All text except quotes © 2003-2013 Schizoid / Lonyc Productions.